Re: klezmer trombone?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:07:15 EST, you wrote:

>In a message dated 3/15/2002 9:52:44 AM Central Standard Time,
>rogovoy (at) berkshire(dot)net writes:
>

>> Does anyone know of any CDs of klezmer
>> that feature trombone as the lead instrument (of one
>> of the primary lead instruments) of the ensemble?
>>

>Not as a lead instrument, but the tbone in Shirim is magnificent.

David Harris is the Shirim trombone -- or was, anyway. (He's not in the band
anymore.) He is probably the best klezmer trombonist out there!

(Mike Winograd tells me he quit shirim and naftule's dream and is starting a
new klez-funk band)

Other tromboney klez bands:
- really old "Kandel's Orchestra" and "Jewish Orchestra" type recordings often
have great trombone parts!
- Mickey Katz: who is that trombonist? he's awesome!
- Klezmer Conservatory Band: Mark Hamilton rules!
- Frank London's Klezmer Brass Allstars: David Harris AND Mark Hamilton!! (I'm
pretty sure)
- Yiddishe Cup: Nobody really talks about these guys, and i get blank stares
when i mention them, but they're great. The trombonist is Steve Ostrow, who
comps like a mutha

Klez Fusion bands with strong trombone presence:
- Naftule's Dream (until recently when David Harris left) - KICK ASS!
- Klezperanto - Mark Hamilton plays awesome solos

yakov
"What's a good philosophy course?" -roommate Jeff