khad gadyo

Hi, all.  I wanted to share something with you I found interesting.

In my research for my just-released peysakh album I had been looking at
the song "Khad Gadyo". In different books I have seen both I.L. Peretz
and I. (or sometimes Y.) Lukovsky as authors for the popular Yiddish
version.  This I found confusing and one very reputable source assured
me it was Lukovsky.

I have just gotten a hold of the book, Folksgezangen far shul un heym;
aranzhirt far piano un gezang [Folksongs for School and Home; Arranged
for piano and voice], Moses Ivker, 1947, and, SURPRISE!,  it has two
different Khad-gadyo songs, one by Peretz, the other by Lukovsky.  The
music has no composer listed for either, although the prolific Michl
Gelbart has been named as composer for the melody used with the Peretz
lyrics in other books.  The song we commonly sing is the one attributed
to Peretz.  The two sets of lyrics are very similar, as is the musical
structure, so I understand the confusion.  I'm so glad to have
discovered this, as it clears up the confusion caused by the different
listings as to author in many different books.

Does anyone have any more insight into this matter?

Does anyone have a biography of Lukovsky?

Lorele

--
You can now hear Lori's new CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1:
Passover, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me for