Geyt A Goy [was: looking for lyric]

Inna Barmash <ibarmash (at) Princeton(dot)EDU> wrote:
> Can anyone help this gentleman?  I'm a bit curious
> myself...
> Wolff Alterman wrote:
>
> > My late Grandfather, when he was feeling merry would sing "Shiker iz a Goy".
> > The gist of the song is that Gentiles drink, and Jews study.  I'd love to
> > find the words (or...gasp!) a recording of this song.  While certainly not
> > politically corect, it hold many fond memories for me.
===================================

I had remembered this folksong as appearing in the Schack-Cohen Yiddish Folk
Songs collection, but I could not find it in the copy that I had.  On closer
inspection I noticed that there is a blanked-out entry for a song #22 in the
table of contents, as well as in the song summaries section.  Since this copy
is the 5th edition published in 1950, I&#8217;m assuming that "Geyt a goy in
shenkl arayn" is the censored song.

Abe Ellstein wrote an arrangement of the song in 1926.  The following lyrics
are a blend of the words that appear under the music and the separately printed
Yiddish text.  My prose translation follows.  The song does have its charm, so
here goes&#8230;

GEYT A GOY IN SHENKL ARAYN

Geyt a goy in shenkl arayn,
In shenkl arayn, in shenkl arayn.
Trinkt er dort a glezele vayn,
A koysele arayn, a groysele arayn.
   Oy, shiker iz a goy;
   Shiker iz er, trinken miz [=muz] er,
   Vayl er iz a goy.

Geyt a yid in bes-medrish arayn,
In bes-medrish arayn, in bes-medrish arayn.
Khapt er dort a Minkhe&#8217;le arayn,
A Borkhu&#8217;le arayn, a Kadish&#8217;l arayn.
   Oy, nikhter iz a yid, nikhter iz a yid,
   Nikhter iz er, davnen muz er,
   Vayl er iz a yid.

Geyt a goy in gesele aroys;
In gesele aroys, in gesele aroys.
Brekht er bay undz yidelekh di fentsterlekh oys,
Di shoybelekh oys, lozt di federn aroys.
   Oy, shiker iz a goy;
   Shiker iz er, brekhn muz er,
   Vayl er iz a goy.

Geyt a yid fun bes-medrish aroys,
Fun bes-medrish aroys, fun bes-medrish aroys.
Kusht er dort a por mezuzelekh oys,
A poroykhesl oys, a seyferl oys.
   Oy, nikhter iz a yid, nikhter iz a yid,
   Nikhter iz er, kushen muz er,
   Vayl er iz a yid.

A GOY ENTERS A TAVERN

A Goy enters a tavern. There he has a glass of wine, a stiff drink, a sizable
one.  A Goy is drunk; he needs to drink, because he is a Goy.

A Jew enters the chapel. There he catches a Minkhe service, a Borkhu response,
a Kaddish. A Jew is sober; he needs to pray, because he is a Jew.

A Goy steps out into the street. There he breaks our windows, the window panes,
lets the feathers out. A Goy is drunk; he needs to break [possible pun on
&#8220;needs to vomit&#8221;], because he is a Goy.

A Jew exits the chapel. There he kisses a couple of Mezuzahs, a Torah mantle, a
holy book. A Jew is sober; he needs to kiss, because he is a Jew.
Cantor Sam Weiss===Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ
--- Begin Message ---
My late Grandfather, when he was feeling merry would sing "Shiker iz a Goy".
The gist of the song is that Gentiles drink, and Jews study.  I'd love to
find the words (or...gasp!) a recording of this song.  While certainly not
politically corect, it hold many fond memories for me.  Thanks!

Wolff Alterman
Mars Hill, NC

--- End Message ---

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->