Beyond Recall: Once more revisited...

Dear List,

       A little over a month ago, there was some talk about  the 11 CD set
"Beyond Recall --A Record of Jewish musical life in Nazi Berlin 1933-1938."
Well imagine my surprise on Thursday morning to have the postman ring with
just such a package!  A couple of friends in Europe had ordered this
collection from Bear Family Records in Berlin and had it shipped to me!  An
extraordinary birthday present if there ever was one!
       There is also a DVD enclosed, a silent film shot in Jerusalem in the
winter of 1934-35 with the violinist Andreas Weissgruber.  Back in December,
there was question on the list regarding the "playability" of the DVD.  It is
a standard video DVD that can be viewed on any television screen connected to
a DVD player.
        I will not venture to even begin to evalutate this collection and the
most amazingly detailed and comprehensive 500 page plus hardcover that
accompanies the set.  Perhaps a few impressions will suffice for now.
        Detail after detail about the performers, the circumstances of the
performances, pictorial renderings of concert programs, performers, copies of
musical notation, and original record label copy all abound.  There are
informative essays that pivot the collection, most poignant being one from
Rabbi Andreas Nachama (dated July, 2001, Riverdale, N.Y.) which has very
personal insight into the meaning of such a special restorative project as
this one.
       Thus far, I have only listened to one CD, and that was this afternoon
with a retired cantor living together with his wife in Flushing, New York,
both survivors of the shoah.  We decided to listen to CD-7 and for over an
hour, with the CD player on the kitchen table, we heard among other musical
treats Yiddish songs, sung by Marion Koegel ("A jiddische Mamme," 'L'koved
dem heiligen Shabbos"); the "Juedischer Madrigal-Chor" singing three German
folksongs, followed by; Sid Kay's Fellows, swinging things with a couple of
Yiddish potpourri types with favorites like "Oifn Pripetschik," "Amol is
geven a Mayse," and "Wen der Rebbe lakht."
        Of course together with the pleasure of listening to the music for
its own sake, one just cannot forget that running concurrently in the
background in "real time" is the extraordinary suffering existing outside the
recording studios and concert halls of Berlin.  Again, I refer Rabbi
Nachama's essay "Madly Beautiful," for further insight regarding this, but of
course each member of the list would have his or her own sensitivities
regarding this project.
       I can only conclude by saying that with this monument of a book, and
over 14 hours of music--together with an added DVD--one can spend a
tremendous amount of time focusing on any one aspect of all the types of
music making, and marvel that such a world has been brought back to life....
as it were.  I am haunted by the cantor's wife's last words before leaving
their apartment early this evening. Kurt recognized so many of the names of
the people involved among the musicians and among them, expressed his glee
that a Michael Taube, first conductor of the Jewish Kulturbund Orchestra left
Germany immediately after Hitler came to power and Kurt had the pleasure of
working with Taube in Israel.  Kurt's wife Isabelle then mentioned, barely
audible, "how terrible for all those that didn't leave in time."
        For the next several months, we agreed that we would sit together on
Sunday afternoons and listen to more musical testimony in the spirit of
"hemshekh" with those voices.
Michael Spudic
Forest Hills, NY

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->