Hello

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to update on progress regarding new Jewish music and such on
this particular home front.

First item: the final concert (1/8) for Jack Bielan & Friends (21-piece
band) at University of Judaism in L.A. was packed house.  New Klesmer
composition called "Frailach 36 (Twice Chai)" went over especially
well.   Craig Taubman was kind enough to stop by... hadn't met him
before.  What a kind, gracious man.

Second: for those who live in the L.A. who might be interested in such
things, the congregation for whom I am music director, Valley Outreach
Synagogue, is holding their annual "Shabbat Service With Gospel Music"
this Friday (2/1).  We're doing it at a sanctuary which holds about
1,400 people called Shepherd Of The Hills at 19700 Rinaldi Ave. (2
blocks west of Tampa Ave) in Chatsworth.  Service starts at 8 P.M., but
they're suggesting 7:30 arrival for parking and seats.  It'll be our
35-voice choir alongside the 50+ voice choir of First A.M.E. Church of
Los Angeles. Should be a raise-the-roof evening.

Third:: on Sunday morning, February 10, The Jewish Music Commision of
Los Angeles is presenting myself, along with Cantor Ron Li-Paz and his
lovely wife Bronwen in a brunch program to benefit the commission at 10
A.M. at the California Traditional Music Society
at 16953 Ventura Blvd. in Encino.   Our trio will be doing an
all-acoustic program.   If you plan to be in the area, would love for
you to call (818)788-9048 (Braun residence) to RSVP.

Fourth: my fiance' and I had the pleasure of going to a progressive
Shabbat service at Valley Beth Shalom synagogue in Encino a few weeks
ago.  The service heavily involves congregants, does a lot of new
melodies... and was absolutely sensational.  VBS' Music Director Noreen
Greene does a wonderful job, and Assistant Music Director Chris Hardin
is an absolutely brilliant keyboardist and composer.  Chris' wife
Jennifer is a wonderful singer, as well, and to boot - you get to listen
to the brilliant mind of Rabbi Ed Feinstein.  They do the service once a
month. If you're in the area, don't miss it.

Thanks for reading.

Jack Bielan