Re: Klezmer/klezmer

Well, capitalizing or not is not really a matter of grammar; it's a matter
of what's usually referred to as "style"--but not in the sense of writing
(or decorating, or playing, etc.) "with style" or "stylishly."  Rather, in
the sense of editorial styling used in the title of Strunk & White's classic
"The Elements of Style" or the University of Chicago's "Manual of Style"
(according to which, btw, those book titles would be in italics)--which is
virtually the, or a, Bible for book editors.  (A given publisher of books or
magazines will frequently have a "house style," according to which, e.g.,
certain words are capitalized or not; italicized or not; etc.)

According to Chicago (= The Chicago Manual of Style) (7.69), "[n]ouns and
adjectives designating ... musical and artistic movements, styles, and
schools are capitalized if they are derived from proper nouns.  Others are
*usually* [emphasis added] lower-cased ..."

So:  "klezmer," lower-cased (like "jazz," which is actually given as an
example in Chicago).

But it's not exactly hard-and-fast, right-and-wrong--it's not a matter of
grammar (which, actually, is not itself always hard-and-fast, either); hence
the "usually."

Hope that helps,

Your obedient servant, the editor,

Robert Cohen