forgot

I KNEW I´d forgotten to tell you something about that conversation with
Solly, it came back to me while waiting for the subway today. That Leon
Askenazi, the Algerian Sephardic leader associated with the Jewish youth
groups in northern Morocco, was known as "Manitou" - everyone associated
with the Scouting movement had to take , as Solly put it, "un nom de
totem",i.e. an "Indian" name (ah, for those days of blissful ignorance
of political incorrectitude) and as Askenazi was so omniscient, they
dubbed him "Manitou".
Thinking of other somewhat unlikely First Nations-Sephardic
associations... elsewhere I've written about Nina Vuckovic, the
Sephardic Bosnian woman (yes, she knew Flory) who lived for 30 years on
the Mohawk reservation outside Montreal....and (this is the music
related part) sang me Bosnian songs but put Serbian dance music on the
turntable... this was back around 1985.  cheers, Judith