Afghani-Jewish and in NY?

Hello all,

Greetings to everyone and much appreciation for your thoughts that I've been
following for some time now.  I've met some of you around KlezKamp,
KlezKanada, NYC, ...
On the subject of Afghani music, I asked around work (Silk Road Project-
check out for new and traditional music from Central Asia and the former
Silk Road trade routes, www.silkroadproject.org) and retrieved the following
story from musicologist Ted Levin.

He doesn't know of details on Afghani-Jewish music per se, but through his
journeys in Queens, NY has heard the chanting of a chazzan from outside
Mazar-e Sharif.  This city and region have historical implications in that
Alexander the Great marched through there, are the birthplace of Zoroastor,
and were at one point home to a large Jewish community.  Both Mazar-e Sharif
and Baghlan (to the east) were also points along the Silk Road.  Migration
flow happened in the 20th century and this particular person came to NY
while others went to Bukhara, Turkey, Iran....this particular chazzan's
chanting sounds Persian to some extent and differs from the music of
Bukharan Jews of Central Asia (a number of whom are also in Queens).

That's all the story for today.
Shayna Silverstein