Re: Afghanistan

Earlier this year, Noa Lachman (jmduk (at) hotmail(dot)com) wrote
that a new CD was available from Jewish Music Distribution called
Music of the Oriental Jews. (Is this EUCD1600?)

These are field recordings made in 1957 by ethnomusicologist
Deben Bhattacharya of the music of Jews from Morocco, Algeria,
Tunisia, Yemen and Bukhara. I think I remember these recordings
from the Westminster LPs named "In Israel Today".

The following Bukharan listings were included in the CD: Uzbek Flute;
Bukhari Modes; Tulkum (Love song); Uzbek Love Song;
and Kashgarchi Tuichi (Bukhari love song).

Although Bukhara is in Uzbekistan, Sandee Brawarsky's article
about Central Asian (Bukharan) Jews in Queens, NY (New York
Times Nov 16, 2001) says that the term Bukharan applies to all
Central Asian Jews, apparently including those from Afghanistan.

Lee

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 19:19:00 -0500 "Bob Wiener" <wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com>