Re: 1..2..3.. lets all do the Jewish freemasonic yowl

Since checking out this list that Jonathan pointed out, of verboten
jazz-related musical gestures, I've been trying figure out why I found it
uniquely creepy. Maybe because it's simultaneously so outrageously
laughable yet impossible to laugh about.

I also came across the following URL which further contextualizes this list:
http://www.glass-artist.co.uk/music/history/nazijazz.html

One click led to another, and I discovered the irony (also hard to laugh
about) that the first music group formed in the camp at Theresienstadt was
a jazz quintet... which later sometimes joined forces with the camp's
Dixieland band, The Ghetto Swingers.  This is described in a full treatment
of cultural life in the ghetto at
http://www.brundibar.net/web/Templates/webbruuk.asp?RM=5&SM=G#a

The Nazi obsession with "racially typecasting" music (not to mention
humans!) in exquisite detail ties in with the uneasiness that I sometimes
experience when postings to this list pursue the "Jewishness" of such and
such music or such and such composer.  These questions are legitimate and
innocent in their contexts, of course, but as November 9 draws near I am
even more conscious of that other context.

At 11:29 AM 11/5/01, jonathan walton wrote:

>http://www.3rdearmusic.com/forum/takeback.html
>
>Have a look at this fascinating page of Hitler's music directives in the
>1930s.
>
>Jonathan

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ