Re: Leonard Cohen

I'll bet he knows how to duchen as well.

                                EK
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: bluecat
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 1:59 PM
  Subject: re: Leonard Cohen

  In an interview with the New York Observer, (posted online at
nyobserver.com/pages/music.asp) Cohen said the following in reference to both
Sept 11 and his new album, which was finished a few weeks before then:

  ""There are people in mourning; there's shock and grief. I really feel that
an analysis of the situation from any point of view is premature," Mr.  Cohen
said. "Regardless of what position we come from, we are all involved in some
kind of way. And, as I say, in the Jewish tradition, one is cautioned against
trying to comfort the comfortless in the midst of their bereavement.
  "The most I can hope for is that the songs in some small way have some
utility in providing solace," Mr. Cohen said. "Because they are gentle and on
the side of healing in some sort of way.""

  Also:

  "The level of suffering that he believes is always present in the world had
been raised to unfathomable heights. And Mr. Cohen knew better than to try to
comfort the comfortless.

  "You know, there's an ancient Hebrew blessing that is said upon hearing bad
news," Mr. Cohen said. And then he recited it: "Blessed art thou, king of the
universe, the true judge," he said, adding, "It's impossible for us to discern
the pattern of events and the unfolding of a world which is not entirely our
making. So I can only say that.""

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->