I Ain't Afraid

Dear list,

Thanks for all the positive feedback on recent shows I've been involved
with.

To set the record straight, the song "I Ain't Afraid" comes from Holly
Near's most recent cd, Edge, which was released on her own Calico Tracks
Music label last year. I brought the song to Adrienne's attention while we
were brainstorming for a concert of resistance songs to be premiered in
Nashville at the local Hillel House in a couple of weeks. Since we were also
preparing to perform at the Tonic benefit for the September 11 fund, we
worked the song up then and there and over the next couple of days began
translating parts of it into Yiddish.

The chorus begins

I ain't afraid of your Yaweh
I ain't afraid of your Allah
I ain't afraid of your Jesus
I'm afraid of what you do
In the name of your god.

You can get the cd directly from Holly Near's website, www.hollynear.com. I
got my copy at a Borders bookstore near Atlantic City, but I haven't seen it
anywhere else. Thanks to Holly for writing yet another great (and prescient!
and translatable!) song. Also check out "Didn't You Mean To Say" on the same
cd.

In addition to being perfomed currently by the Klezmatics, the song is now
also in the repertoire of Mikveh.

Also FYI, "Shnirele, Perele" originally appeared on the Klezmatics cd Rhythm
+ Jews, currently available on Flying Fish. We also perform the song on the
upcoming television special "Voices," to be broadcast by most PBS stations
on November 24. The program was taped live in Berlin last summer, and also
features Chava Alberstein and Peter Yarrow.

Thanks for listening!

Mr. Lorin Sklamberg, Sound Archivist
YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

15 West 16th Street