Beyond Recall ... A record of Jewish musical life in Nazi Berlin, 1933-1938

Since a few people have asked me about this, just to clarify:

Rainer Lotz's project to document the music recorded by people associated
with the Juedischer Kulturbund in Nazi Berlin was a massive undertaking.
It's part of his comprehensive German National Discography. Rainer is one of
the top discographers, and I'm sure he's done as good a job as could have
been possible given the lack of documentation, etc. (although I haven't read
it yet). The English translation is by Michael Aylward, himself a
knowledgeable discographer. Bear Family Records and its owner Richard Weize
have an impeccable reputation, as anyone who knows their productions can
testify to. I can't speak to all of the music, but the project is in any
case of great historical significance. It uses, among numerous other
sources, thirteen 78s from Rita Ottens' and my collection. Included are
performances by Israel Bakon, a wonderful singer who was one of the sons of
the famous Polish (Chrzanow, W. Galicia) Hasidic cantor and composer Hirsch
Leib Bakon.

Cheers,

Joel Rubin

please visit us at our new address: www.rubin-ottens.com

>Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:07:20 +0200
>From: "Rainer E. Lotz c/o Birgit Lotz Verlag" <Birgit-Lotz-Verlag (at)
>gmx(dot)de>
>
>Beyond Recall ... A record of Jewish musical life in Nazi Berlin, 1933 -
>1938

snip