Thank God!!! My sister is safe!!

I wish to thank those of you who were worried about my safety and welfare and
sent me IM's and email that I wasn't available to answer until now. Thank God,
I didn't leave the house yesterday, and my entire family all arrived at their
homes safely.

I was awakened by a telephone call Tuesday morning after 9AM by Meryle, who was
hysterical, crying into the telephone, inisisting that I tell her which floor
of the WTC Tower our sister Barbara, worked on. She shouted "..a plane crashed
into the World Trade Center building .. " where Barbara works and she was
unable to reach her either at her desk or on her cell phone and couldn't reach
our brother-in-law, Paul, who also worked downtown.

Not believing my ears, I turned on the TV which was focused on the burning WTC
tower. Then it showed a fireball explosion in the middle section of the second
tower, and now both of them were burning. Still half asleep, my next thought
was that this was just one of my bad doomsday dreams. I would wake myself up
and all this would go away. But this time, shaking my head and tossing and
turning failed to make this nightmare go away.

I realized that this was more than just a nightmare, that this was a family
crisis that needed to be dealt with. Having been in the WTC buildings many
times for classes, and having been in my own building at 55 Water Street during
a fire, I knew that, at best, people would be in jammed up smoky corridors, and
that, no matter how many fire and emergency exiting drills there may have been,
nothing could have prepared my sister Barbara for this type of horrific
disaster.

I tried calling Barbara at her desk - there was a deafening silence, not even a
telephone company message saying it was out of service or any other kind of
noise - just no sound at all. I got the same result when trying to contact her
cell phone. I left voice mail messages on Paul's office and cell phones. After
a very long 10 minutes he got back to me - my sister had called after making
her way down to the 13th floor of the burning tower to say that she was OK and
was waiting for her turn to leave the building through the logjam of people who
were in the process of exiting, and would contact him again as soon as she
could. He wanted to keep his lines clear so Barbara could get in touch him.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I went back to watching the events on TV, and to
get some reassurance that those in the Towers could be safely evacuated. I
spoke with Meryle again to say that I heard from Paul, and that he heard from
Barbara after the first plane hit. It was during this conversation that the
live feed from a Newschannel 4 helicopter showed the complete collapse of one
of WTC towers, engulfing the entire downtown area in a heavy cloud of smoke and
debris. Having walked in and through WTC financial area complex many times
during lunch and rush hour, I realized that there must have been a large mass
of humanity on the ground trying to escape who were in grave danger. I tried to
call Barbara again on her cell - still no response. At that point I began
trembling and crying, as I feared that Barbara might be among those poor
innocent people who perished in this calamity. The only thing I could do was to
leave a 2nd set of voice mail messages for Paul to get back to me ASAP. I also
began to worry that Paul, also downtown at the time, and Meryle and David, who
worked midtown, might possibly be effected by some harmful ash or chemicals.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, I heard from Paul again, and that
Barbara was with him, safe and sound. They were in the process of walking to
Grand Central Station to hopefully catch a train home. Hearing that they were
out of danger was my happiest experience in recent if not all-time memory.

Best Regards and wishing everyone a safe L'shana Tova,

Steven Lowenthal

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->