Re: Strauss/Warschauer Duo at Philadelphia Folk Festival August 25 and 26

Ah, The Philly Folk Festival!  I remember it fondly, having grown up in
Philadelphia.  My fondest memories come from 1964, when I met Theodore Bikel and
Judy Collins in the back of the pavilion "stage" area where Jean Ritchie was
performing.  Got both autographs and a hug from Bikel.  I still like him.  :-)
Lorele

Warschauer (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> The Strauss/Warschauer Duo will be performing on the Philadelphia Folk
> Festival Mainstage on Saturday night August 25, 2001.  The Duo will also be
> participating in various workshops on Yiddish songs, violin style and other
> subjects throughout the weekend.
>
> For more information, please call the festival at (215) 247-1300.
>
> Hope to see you there!

> ----------------------------
>
> The Strauss/Warschauer Duo brings together two established musicians who are
> deeply committed to klezmer music and Yiddish song.  Their performances are
> an integrated and intimate blend of songs, translations and instrumental
> music â?? grounded in tradition, yet thoroughly contemporary.  They draw from
> klezmer, Yiddish, Hasidic and liturgical music and culture, adding their own
> original compositions and song settings.  As they sing and play in shifting
> combinations of violin, guitar, mandolin and accordion, they create a dynamic
> atmosphere with an exceptional range of feeling â?? from delicate and refined
> to exuberant and foot-stomping.
>
> Deborah Strauss and Jeff Warschauer are two of the most active and
> well-respected performers and teachers in the klezmer and Yiddish music
> scene.  They are members of the Klezmer Conservatory Band and have performed
> with violinist Itzhak Perlman on film and in concert.  As the
> Strauss/Warschauer Duo, they have performed to overwhelming acclaim in such
> diverse venues as the Amsterdam International Yiddish Festival, the Jewish
> Culture Festival in Cracow, the Ashkenaz Festival in Toronto, and the
> Folksbiene Yiddish Theater in New York City.  They lead workshops and classes
> throughout North America and Europe and are on the faculty of the KlezKamp
> and KlezKanada Yiddish culture programs.
>
> Deborah Strauss (violin, accordion, vocals) is one of the finest
> practitioners of traditional Jewish violin today.  She has appeared on
> numerous recordings and is a member of the Chicago Klezmer Ensemble.  Strauss
> studied violin at Rutgers University and ethnomusicology at the University of
> Chicago.
>
> Jeff Warschauer (guitar, mandolin,vocals) is known internationally as one of
> the foremost exponents of the klezmer mandolin, as an innovator in the
> development of a klezmer guitar style, and as an expressive Yiddish singer.
> Warschauer is also a composer whose music has been heard in films and theater
> productions, and on Public Radio International and HBO.  A graduate of the
> New England Conservatory, Jeff's solo CD, The Singing Waltz: Klezmer Guitar
> and Mandolin, has received widespread critical acclaim.
>

> ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->