Re: does anyone know of Russian songs,c. 1900 for CherryOrchard??

Balalaika5 (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> A very well known waltz from around the turn of the century is Tonkaya
> Ryabina.

        While the text is based on  an 1864 poem and may well have been set
to music in the 19th century, there is no evidence of the song being
performed before the 1920s.  It became particularly popular during World War
II and in the post-war period.

> Another good tune - quite melancholy and atmospheric is Ne Brani menya,
> Podnaya. I only have it in the Russian and have never seen an English
> translation.

        "Ne brani menya, rodnaya", translated as "Mother, Do Not Scold Me,"
can be found in vol. 2 of the _Botsford Collection of Folk Songs_, compiled
and edited by Florence Hudson Botsford, first published in 1922 and later
reprinted by Schirmer.  It is in 3/4 time, but it's more a song for singing
than a dance tune.

            Bob Rothstein
begin:vcard
n:Rothstein;Robert
tel;fax:413-545-5876
tel;work:413-545-0894
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Slavic and Judaic Studies and Comparative Literature;University of Massachusetts, Amherst
adr:;;741 Herter Hall;Amherst ;MA;01003-3935;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:rar (at) slavic(dot)umass(dot)edu
title:Professor
x-mozilla-cpt:;10000
fn:Robert A. Rothstein
end:vcard