Re: "Jewish" Violin Music (suggestions)

Barry Serota produced (at least I think he produced; he definitely wrote the
liner notes and I think was more involved than that) a number of records and
tapes under the rubric THE RUSSIAN JEWISH COMPOSERS; there may have been six
or seven, each titled as above with "vol. ---."  Many if not most or all of
these records feature music for violin (and piano) by such as Joel Engel,
Joseph Achron, Solomon Rosowsky, Michael Gnessin, Alexander Krein, Jacob
Weinberg, Samuel Alman, and Joachim Stutschewsky, plus Lazare Saminsky and
Lazar Weiner.  They were issued under the label "Musique Internationale,"
but that may just have been a private label-name of Serota's.  Serota also
acknowledges numerous sources for the scores (he refers to many of them as
"rare" and "out of print").

These records have a wealth of material that I think would be very suitable.
  (Achron's "Stempenyu Suite" and "Hebrew Melody" are on two of these
records, along with much other, probably less well known, material.)

I also have a West German record on the label Da Camera Magna called BILDER
AUS ISRAEL, with violin (plus accompaniment) music by Bloch, Chajes, Achron
(including the "Hebrew Lullaby"), Joel Engel, Paul Ben Haim, Marc Lavry,
Joseph Kaminski, and Arkadie Kouguell (whom I've never heard of, btw).  Some
of these pieces have a delightful Jewish "ta'am" (flavor).

Finally, Mischa Elman recorded a Vanguard LP (1099 in mono) called HEBRAIC
MELODIES, featuring, in addition to (again) Achron's "Hebrew Melody,"
Bruch's "Kol Nidre," and Bloch's "Nigun" from BAAL SHEM, works by Josef
Bonime (one "Danse Hebraique"), George Perlman ("Dance of the
Rebbitzen"--the titles are intriguing, anyway), Marc Lavry, and Chajes, plus
a couple of chestnuts.

Hope that's helpful.

--Robert Cohen