Re: religious music from the 13 th century

Hi, you might be interested in the recent Jalda Rebling CD, Juden in
Deutschland 1250 - 1750 for examples.
See:  http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/rau9401.htm.

Remember that when you are dealing with music that far back, the
interpretation of anything written down is pretty conjectural. Look up this
list's discussion of the neumes notated by Obadia the proselyte as an
example. But there will certainly must be songs currently in use whose
melodies date back that far...can anyone else weigh in with a relevant
study about the antiquity of surviving traditional melodies? I know that
the Sephardim by tradition date one of their "song of the sea" melodies
back to biblical times; don't know if this has ever been confirmed or
disproven.

The Renanot company in Israel has an amazing set of tapes of many, many
different traditions that could perhaps be a help to you:

www.renanot.co.il

Please share with the list what you find out about this interesting topic.

B'shalom,

Joel

At 11:48 AM 8/2/01 +0200, Zahava Seewald wrote:
>I'm working on a musical project on ancient music and I'm trying to find
>religious texts/songs of the ashkenazic/sephardic repertoire from the 13th
>century and wich are still used today in the lithurgy. Can anybody help me.
>Zahava Seewald
>Curator
>Jewish Museum of Belgium

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com