Re: Week-end in NY

Thanks to all who clued me to the Hasidic New Wave concert at Makor and
Pharoah's Daughter at Tonic this past week-end.  Went to both and enjoyed
them tremendously.  The addition of Senegalese drummers to Hasidic New Wave
is really quite exciting and Pharoah's Daughter a pleasure.  I had an
unexpected, amusing experience at Makor, when I discovered that the tall,
red-haired bassist for the opening act, Golem, was my daughter's friend
Taylor from high school. Talk about feeling old... Golem, by the way, was
quite good.  Very nice to see the new generation of downtown pan-Slavic
klezmer players in a solid good-time party band.  Several of the members
have been nourished through the KlezKanada program, and they do the program
proud.  The female singer/accordion player, Annette, is quite a pistol, but
all the playing was good.  I'm embarassed to say that I don't recall the
male singer's name, but he did the best version of Romania Romania (!!)
I've heard in years.  Nothing like youthful energy and giving yourself up
completely and unreservedly to an old chestnut to remind the audience why
it got to be popular in the first place.  All in all exactly what I needed
after a hard week.

Shira