Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1944

Ari wrote:

new jewish music - contemporary Western art music by jews with jewish
>musical origins
I started to disagree, and then realized that the ways in which I often use
it--most recently to describe music by Josh Waletzky, or Mikvey, or Brave Old
World--it does seem to mostly fit. Somewhere we need a term that also refers
to trends that are new, such as the growing number of new recordings of prayer
set to Middle Eastern melodies (some of what I hear in Atzilut or Pharoah's
Daughter), or in which nusach is grounds for exploration in general--Uri
Caine's work in Zohar, or the Nigunim trio.

When I think of Josh Waletzky's songs or Mikveh or BOW, I think new YIDDISH
music. because it reflects the fact that the music is firmly rooted in the
Ashkenazic style, even when it takes on a most modern coloration.  pharoah's
Daughter, Nigunim, Uri Caine in Zohar, etc., I think of more as New Jewish
music, ewflwxting more devotional influences.

Shira