Re: "Mainstream" music

>It's been my experience that that's usually the
>problem with anything "Mainstream" - especially music.
>  You can always find the finest jewels around the
>edges.

Well put.  A recent article about (the new biography of) Bing Crosby argued
that his singing became much less musically interesting (myself, I've never
cared for his singing, period) when he was aggressively "mainstreamed" early
in his career under the career guidance, so to speak, of Jack Kapp of Decca
Records (who, as it happened, "mainstreamed" Bei Mir Bis du Schoen--into
English, i.e.--as well).

--Robert Cohen