Re: clarinet music by Jewish composers

Responding to the message of <002001c0edf9$662c6900$02000003 (at) smost>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Dear Dr. Lubet,
> After reading your response to the following e-mail and I thought you might
> be able to help me.  I am a non-Jew who happens to really enjoy Jewish
> music.  (I am a doctoral student in clarinet performance with a minor in
> ethnomusicology.)  I am trying to put together information about clarinet
> music (solo and chamber works) by Jewish clarinet composers (particularly
> new music).  My listing is increasing all of the time, but I would like to
> search as many avenues as possible.
>
> First, have you written clarinet music and if so, could you give me some
> information about yourself and the pieces you have composed?  Also, I am
> sure may know other Jewish composers of whom I am not aware.  If you could
> pass on any names to me I would greatly appreciate it !

I have a very old unaccompanied piece that I don't like much and a 1985 work for
Bb clarinet and piano entitled Rhythm Changes that I like a lot.  To the best of
my knowledge it's only been done once and rather recently.  The premiere was
delayed for contractual reasons, not musical ones, although it's a real
mouthful.  It's one movement and runs about 30 minutes, although there are
plenty of spots where the clarinet doesn't play.  The title refers to the name
jazz musicians use to refer to any tune that uses the chord changes of
Gershwin's I Got Rhythm.  I don't use them myself, but the whole piece is based
on the first four notes of the Gershwin tune.

When I had a new music ensemble I was more up on repertoire than I am now.  I'd
suggest you e-mail my colleague John Anderson at ander009 (at)
maroon(dot)tc(dot)umn(dot)edu(dot)
John is Jewish, though not deeply involved in the community, but he knows
voluminous amounts of repertoire of all kinds.

Is my classmate Greg Carroll still teaching at Greensboro?  If so, please send
him my best.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 612 624-8001 (fax)