Author of "Oifn Fidl" Cantata

In answer to Bob Cohen's inquiry:

I have a copy of a handwritten SATB score for "Oifn Fidl" ("The
Fiddle").  It states that the "Ba-arbetung" (arrangement??) is by
I.E. Ronch and the music is by V. Heifetz.

It also bears the date 1958, which is, I assume, when it was written!

"Oifn Fidl" is a fairly long work and consists of 12 sections:  "Di
Kapele" (allegro giocoso), "Oy nito kain sheners" (andante
espressivo), "Esterl" (allegretto sostenuto), "Dem Schwartn Hunt"
(presto), "Ich hob gehert" (allegretto, molto sostenuto, "Fun Vanen"
(con moto -- esp. con parlando), "Der Pan Polkovnik" (moderato)
and "Nor Haint" (presto), as well as four unnamed sections.  In my
copy, "Oifn Fidl" runs to 31 pages; talk about writer's cramp!

Ethan Minovitz
Bass, Vancouver Jewish Folk Choir

Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail