Slip during concert -- oops!

My high school's "Pops Concert" -- select chorale, jazz band, and other small
groups -- was a couple of weeks ago. This year I put together a klezmer group
with myself, another trombonist, and a bad trumpeteer. We played two songs. The
first was the easy chusidl Merlin Sheppard taught us in the "ear band", and it
went pretty well. The second song, "Leben Zol Palestina" (we played it as a
midtempo bulgar), I did with just me and the other trombone.

Anyway, in the beginning the other trombonist was supposed to vamp for a few
measures before I came in. I said "vamp in D" and counted off. He must've
thought I meant the D *section*, where it changes keys, because he started
vamping in B, and then he tried to correct himself, or something, and I had no
idea what the hell he was doing. So I turned to him, by now furious, and said,
"What the FU-K are you doing?!"

Now, it wasn't particularly loud. But it was loud enough. In a silent
auditorium -- for, of course, he stopped playing right after I said "the." All
the people in the auditorium were laughing.

Of course, we then went on to play it again, and this time it went fine. But it
was a pretty scary experience.

Has something like this happened to anyone else?

(I was let off the hook pretty easy by my principal: four periods of unofficial
detention, nothing in my record or sent home.)

YAKOV.
http://www.kobyland.com
with Art Spiegelman interview!

"Trombone is good!" - Griz