From: <Mattflight (at) aol(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 3:30 PM
Subject: "Klezmer" music in the 1950's through 1970's

I am writing a paper for a class I am taking on  how Jewish (klezmer) music,
in recorded form, in America was influenced by the outside musical culture
in
the 1950's through 1970's, and how the American Jewish community contributed
to this.  The Jewish music that I am looking at is the music that was
recorded in this time period by American Groups, and Artists.

As many members of this list have more experience with this time period; (I
didn’t live through it, I am a little too young.) I am requesting for your
comments.  I would like to know what you feel are the most influential
recordings of Jewish Music in this time period. Both recordings that you
remember being influenced by then and recordings that influence you now. I
also want to know what about these recordings are “Jewish.” Just because
Dick Dale recorded a version of Hava Nagila, is that a “Jewish” recording?

What makes a recording more or less “Jewish?” Is it the melodies or is it
how the music is interpreted? Or is it a combination of the two.  I don’t
want this to affect they albums that you tell me about, but the reason that
am asking about the “Jewishness” of albums is that I am most interested
personally in recordings that bring “American Pop” musical styles into their
sound. That is not to say that a lot of my playing has been influenced by
the
more traditional recordings of this time period.

You can either post your response to the list or send it directly to me at
Mattflight (at) aol(dot)com . I am happy to answer any questions you have, and
I will
be keeping the list updated as this project progresses.

Matt Temkin
Mattflight (at) aol(dot)com