not sure kol isha is the issue

LOX & VODKA
Widely Acclaimed
Klezmer, Jewish & American music group
202/966-7270
fax: 202/966-7284
http://www.LoxVodka.com

I'm not sure kol isha is the main issue here.  As best I understand the
problem, Shirona had a contract with someone who broke it for reasons not
listed as acceptable in the contract.  While kol isha is the excuse in this
situation, the issue is the broken contract.  What if a contract were broken
last minute because someone determined the music would be too loud for a
particular guest or two?  What if a client cancels because they decided they
didn't want music or they wanted another band?

There are certainly situations where we must be flexible and understanding as
in the case of death or serious illness of a close family member.  Short of
that, the client knows what he/she has contracted for.  In this situation,
the client certainly knew Shirona was female.

At this point, it seems to me Shirona (or whoever the musician might be) has
a choice to make.  Here are three options.  I'm sure there are variations on
these themes:
1. Chalk it up to experience and take the loss.
2. Assuming a deposit was given, keep the deposit but not charge for the
remainder of the gig.
3. Express your disappointment that you won't be able to share in the
family's simcha but hold to the terms of the contract.  If payment is note
made, an attorney is not the only option.  You can consider small claims
court.  (Please don't forget to  consider the time and emotional expense of
this option.)

I have a very big problem with people using religion as an after the fact
excuse to get out of a situation, as though the rest of the religion's
teachings would find this behavior acceptable.  Just some thoughts from a
musician and band leader with lots of water under her bridge.  Best of luck,

Caron Dale

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->