OT, but hot, HOT! Romanian musicians

Nine of the great Romani musicians from the Romanian village of Clejani -- a
village of "lautari" (musicians) -- are playing tonight, 8:00, in Meany Hall
in Seattle. I don't know if you can still possibly get a ticket, but if you
can wangle your way in, do so! The box office number is (206) 543-4880.

These are the guys who are billed as the "Taraf de Haidouks."

I first had the opportunity to go to their village in early 1990, before
they became an international sensation, and I just now had the opportunity
to hear these musicians again (at a special performance for schoolkids).

These musicians are all truly extraordinary, and they range in age up to
around 70. The instruments are: violins, tsambal mic (he's playing a small
Romanian tsambal that's at least 140 years old), a tsambal mare (cimbalom),
string bass, accordion, and fluier (flute). Then there are the riveting
vocals, and the funny rivalry and inventiveness of their lyrics and
gestures. The high energy and virtuosity and soulfulness will bowl you over.

They'll be in Canada after tonight, and then again elsewhere in the States.

Here's a website with the rest of their tour dates:
http://www.imnworld.com/bin/events_lister.cgi?Artist=Taraf+de+Haidouks

BTW, a little girl in the audience at the performance for kids this morning
asked the band a great question, "Why are there no girls playing with you?"
The answer was that, traditionally, no women played instruments. However,
since the musicians have been touring around in the past decade, they've
been hearing excellent women instrumentalists in various places, and now
they're teaching their daughters the instruments. Hurrah!

Best,
Sandra Layman (fiddler)
... not usually given to such hyperbole