Jews of India (slightly OT)

Chevra:

Since the music of the Jews of India came up recently, I thought some
listers would be interested in:

 >Who are the Jews of India?
 >Nathan Katz
 >University of California Press
 >

 >Nathan Katz's Who are the Jews of India?, constitutes a very interesting
 >introduction to three major communities of the Indian subcontinent, the
 >Jews of Cochin, the Bene Israel, and the Baghdadi Jews of the Raj. It
 >also, as one commentator notes, brings together in a novel way, materials
 >on the Baghdadi worlds of Bombay, Calcutta and Southeast Asia. Who are
 >the Jews of India collects a lot of important information on these
 >communities and will be a standard text for people who want a primer on
 >Indian Jewish history and culture

(From the Association for Jewish Studies Sephardi/Mizrahi Studies Caucus
Discussion List
Editor/Moderator: Aviva Ben-Ur)

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com