Re: Anski Expedition

At 09:53 AM 3/1/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I am looking for references in English to Anski's ethnographic expeditions of
>1912-1914.   I am aware of Old Jewish Folk Music by Beregovski.  I will be
>attending the Ansky conference at Stanford later this month, but need some
>information before then.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Shira Lerner

Shira:

  Weisser, Albert.
The modern renaissance of Jewish music, events and figures, Eastern Europe and
America.
   New York,  Bloch Pub. Co., 1954.
    175 p. ports., map, music.  24 cm.
   Includes biographies, and lists of works, of Joel Engel, Joseph Achron,
Moses Milner, Lazare Saminsky, Alexander Krein, and Michael Gniessen.

Saminsky, Lazare,  1882-1959.
  Music of the ghetto and the Bible / by Lazare Saminsky.
    New York :  AMS Press,  [1980]
   vii, 261 p. : music ;  23 cm.
   Reprint of the 1934 ed. published by Bloch Pub. Co., New York.

Try these two books. There should be much information. Saminsky, along with
Joel Engel and Sussman Kisselhof collected the music and recordings for the
An-Ski or Baron Horace Ginsbourg Expedition. Baron Ginsbourg was the patron.

I believe Idelsohn writes a bit about the expedition in his Jewish Music: its
historical development.

If they don't have these books at UCLA or your local Judaica library, try
www.bookfinder.com

Happy hunting,

Eliott Kahn

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
WK: (212) 678-8076
FAX (212) 678-8998