Re: jewish music databases/Keynote

Aleph has this feature quite well developed. Of course, it is out of
reach for anybody's pockets...
Francesco

>So, what you really need is a "key" that ties all umpteen versions
>of a song title back to a controlled title, and in reverse ties this
>controlled title to all umpteen versions of a song title. That way
>if a searcher has just one title or a key word from it, you can find
>every other. But as I say, this is not trivial. Ladino, for example,
>has no standard orthography in Romance characters. This a full-time
>multi-month effort just for Sephardic titles, which of course have
>to reckoned as a small subset of the Yiddish titles and much larger
>corpus of Jewish music. It's not going happen "organically" as more
>titles are added to a database; instead it will take a concerted
>effort, most likely under one person's editorial control (for
>Sephardic titles) or one supreme editor and a team's control (for
>Yiddish and other titles) to make any sort of progress.
>
>Layla tov,
>
>Joel

YUVAL  ITALIA     Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval