Re: Somewhat OT: Music Scanning Query

We've used a el cheapo flatbed scanner with good results. In truth,
most flatbed scanners are of a quality that is quite fine for such
scanning. You may wish to scan at 600dpi or higher for archival
purposes, but for web display or even for laser-printing purposes,
a scan at 200dpi or less is more than adequate.

For music only, use of Adobe Acrobat's text capabilities may be excessive,
but we've been meaning to explore using it to make the scans searchable by
lyric (there would still need to be authority files and other work to
account for variant spellings in a general archive), which should work
well. Acrobat also provides a way of storing a sheaf of pages in one,
many-paged unit, which will make some aspects of your work much easier.

You might want to focus on scanning for now, and to rescan with Acrobat
once you are comfortable with other aspects of what you are doing.

Hope this helps,
ari