Somewhat OT: Music Scanning Query

This is somewhat off topic (I apologize), but I'll bet that there are mavens
out there who can answer my questions (and I don't know where else to ask).

I'm interested in getting a scanner to use with my collection of old Yiddish
song books, choral arrangements and sheet music.  Some of the material is
quite old and not in the greatest shape.  In addition, I have a large
collection of hand-notated transcriptions of klezmer and Hasidic tunes.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of resolution I will need to make good,
clean scans of this material?  Any other issues regarding contrast (for
example, faint notes on yellowed paper)?

Could I use any flatbed scanner, or (since I'm scanning books), does it need
to be any special type?

I've got a Mac PowerBook G3 with USB.

Finally, any ideas regarding format?  Is it worth investing in Adobe Acrobat?

I'm a novice at this, so any info would be appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance,

Jeff Warschauer