Re: Shtetlization

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elliott Raisen" <elliott16 (at) home(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: Shtetlization

> This reminds me of the experience when Fiddler on the roof came out. My
> parents and their friends who, had left the shetels, did not enjoy Fiddler
.
> To  them it revived bad memories. Similarly, when I saw the play Nunsense
> about a nun and her treatment of the students there were three young girls
> in front of me who didn't laugh very much. To them this was bad memories
of
> parochial school
>         Elliott
>         ellllllllllllll

It's a thread through our history.  Many of those who escaped the world of
the shtetl romanticized it soon after.  When the Israelites crossed the Red
Sea, it took no time at all before they asked why they had forsaken that
wonderful life in Egypt for the desert's hardships.

My father's family on his mother's side were wealthy in Galicia, and his
father's side were political leaders.  He only rarely talked of that past.
My mother never talked about it.  But they both enjoyed the yiddish theater
and it's romanticized picture of the past.