RE: Chava Alberstein, Jan 13, Sanders Theatre

> As a live performer, Ms. Alberstein is awesome, and she has been
> performing to
> rave reviews around the country.

let me second the notion. Chava Alberstein is truly a magical performer, one
of those rare
singers who can grab an audience and singlehandedly take it along on a
journey, whether or
not they understand the "language" or are familiar with the songs.

I've seen her with people who ostensibly don't like "folk" singers -- and
CHava's shows are
pretty much patterned after folk singers like Pete Seeger, one of her
earliest influences -- and
they have come away loving her in spite of the "folk" nature of the concert.

And I've played her albums for people who don't necessarily like Jewish
music or know anything
about it but are aficionados of female vocal music and they have fallen in
love with her (in fact some
of these people are going to see her in Cambridge) and compare her to Piaf.

Seth Rogovoy
author of "The Essential Klezmer: A Music Lover's Guide to Jewish Roots and
Soul"
http://www.algonquin.com/catalog/pagemaker.cgi?1-56512-244-5
"invaluable" -- New York Times
"indispensable" -- George Robinson, Jewish Week