FW: 3.543:"Grine Felder" the hit Yiddish musical play will play 6 performances a week

Sorry you all for my extended silence on this (and several other lists).  I
have been extraordinarily busy preparing web sites and helping my husband put
out his new CD.   This silence has been much longer than I ever imagined, but I
still too busy to re-join the world.   But I want to cross-post two YiddishNet
notices here.  This and the next one.   I certainly hope you all come to see
Grine Felder.  But you have to rush because the run ends very, very soon.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky

YiddishNet - the Yiddish News and Announcements List
December 18, 2000
Volume 3.543

Subject:    "GRINE FELDER" WILL PLAY SIX PERFORMANCES CHANUKAH WEEK
            & PRE-CHANUKAH WEEK AT OFF BROADWAY'S MAZER THEATER

"GRINE FELDER" WILL PLAY SIX PERFORMANCES CHANUKAH WEEK
& PRE-CHANUKAH WEEK AT OFF BROADWAY'S MAZER THEATER

        "Grine Felder" the hit Yiddish musical play will play six
performances Chanukah week (Dec. 20 - 24) and the same schedule the week
prior (Dec.  13-17) at Off Broadway's Mazer Theater, 197 East Broadway.
Performances are Wednesdays at 2PM and 7PM, Thursdays at 7PM, Saturdays
at 8PM and Sundays at 2PM and 5.30PM.

        Zypora Spaisman, Shifra Lerer & Felix Fibich star in this new
production of the Peretz Hirschbein play with music and lyrics by
Vladimir Heifetz and Sholem Secunda.  It was directed by Bryna Turetsky.
Others featured in the cast include Norman Kruger, Hy Wolfe, Julie
Alexander, Joad Kohn and Roni Neuman.

        The critics all acclaimed this new production of the classic
Yiddish play.  The New York Times called it "heartwarming... crowd
pleasing classic of Yiddish theater."  The New York Post critic called
Ms. Spaisman, Ms. Lerer and Mr. Fibich "beloved stars... actors of great
appeal (who) have the stage savvy of old pros." The Jewish Week critic
found it "bursting with professionalism and energy"; The Jewish Press
saw the show as "one  of the brightest lights Off Broadway this year,"
and the Algemeiner Journal concluded: "This is a show that should be
seen by everyone not only those who love Yiddish theater but anyone
who admires creative performances on stage with all its components -
history, tragedy, romance and more."

"Green Fields" is a pastoral comedy about forbidden love - a city
yeshiva boy is smitten by a wild country girl.  Premiering in New York
in 1919, staring Jacob Ben-Ami and Celia Adler, it was the Yiddish
theater's first major literary hit in this country and, soon thereafter,
toured throughout the Jewish communities of Europe.

About the cast:

Felix Fibich began his acting and dancing career in the USSR,
then Europe, South America and Israel before coming to the United
States.  He was on Broadway in "Cafe Crown" in addition to
choreographing many Yiddish musicals.  Norman Kruger has been
featured in dozens of productions at the Folksbiene Theater and
appeared on Broadway in "A House on Grand Street."  Hy Wolfe is also
a veteran Folksbiene performer and has appeared at the Public Theater,
Playwrights Horizon and the Jewish Repertory Theater.

After serving in the army, Roni Neuman was in several films in Israel
before coming to New York and graduating from the American Academy of
Dramatic Arts.  She learned Yiddish from her grandparents in Israel
and is making her New York stage debut.  Joad Kohn who was raised in
Hasidic Williamsburg with Yiddish as his first language is also making
his New York stage debut in "Grine Felder." He is also a cantor and is
studying to be an opera singer.

        "Green Fields" will play a six performance weekly schedule:
Wednesdays at 2PM and 7PM, Thursdays at 7PM, Saturdays at 8PM and
Sundays at 2PM and 5:30PM.  Tickets are $30, $25 and $18 and available
at Ticket Central (212) 279-4200; also at www.ticketcentral.org.
For group sales call (212) 689-4930.

The show is being presented by the Yiddish Public Theatre, a new
producing organization with Zypora Spaisman as Artistic Director.
The Mazer Theater is located at 197 East Broadway between Clinton and
Jefferson, the East Broadway stop on the F train.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->