Re: quick question about nomenclature and modes

Budowitz Website: http://www.budowitz.com

The first note of the mode determines its name, not the so-called mother
scale. So C major is CDEFGABC and D dorian is DEFGABCD. They both have the
same pitch content but their names go according to their root notes. The
"church modes" are:

C Ionian ( or major) CDEFGABC
D Dorian DEFGABCD
E Phrygian EFGABCDE
F Lydian FGABCDEF
G Mixolydian GABCDEFG
A Aeolian (or natural minor)ABCDEFGA
B Locrian BCDEFGAB

The ancient Greeks did call Phrygian what we now call Dorian and there are
many discrepencies between ancient and modern modal theory, but that's the
accepted norm now. Good luck, Josh Horowitz

 the mode question