From:   Robin LaPasha <ruslan (at) acpub(dot)duke(dot)edu> |
Subject:        cases
Hi all,

I'd been watching for some less-expensive santouri cases, until
recently without much joy.  I just got a case, and think that
maybe if you're considering one you might like the benefit of
some prior research...

But... I hate getting big amorphous email messages too.  (And
this one is certainly big.)  So that you don't have to wade
through (or skip it) wondering whether to read it, I'll tell
you the topics in advance. ;^)  This message is divided into
several major subjects:

        Airlines and Cases
                (size limits, insurance, negotiating, specs)
        Manufacturers
                (CDM, Maxline, etc.)
        Other options
                (homemade cases, bike cases...)
        Theft

Now you can decide whether to go on (and I'm back to the intro...)

My goal has been a flight case, i.e. a metal-framed plywood box
with some kind of water-repelling plastic outside, foam inside,
handles, twisty locks, corner bumpers, a big strong hinge, and
roller wheels.

The standard case from the custom makers includes 1/4" plywood
with an outer ABS-plastic laminate, aluminum framework, and
recessed handles and latches.  They're lined with foam (esterfoam,
ethafoam, etc.).  These cases vary between about 30 and 55 pounds.
So go weigh your instrument before you start--my santouri weighs
25 lbs., but my heavy-duty gig bag would add 5 lbs..  Try to
keep the case alone at 40 pounds or less, to get it and your
instrument through baggage check on a plane.

I didn't include the santouri stand in my specs--legs, cradle,
or dampers.  I also didn't use my gig bag inside the case...
partly because we have to consider the maximum single-item size
for getting the box into a Honda hatchback.  On the other hand,
for someone with a van, fitting the gig bag inside the case
might be very important.  Your mileage will vary.

-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
Airlines and cases:

I am not a person who would do well 'hoping' to be allowed to
carry-on my instrument to an airline closet, or to gate-check
it in just a gig bag.  I don't think anybody who has anything
more exotic than a basic hammer dulcimer would stay sane that
way, either.  It's just my opinion--and why I don't talk about
non-case options for airline travel.

1. Case size limits -

For everyone taking a case with them on a plane trip:  Keep
the total dimensions under 100" and total weight under 70 lbs..
Measured as the sum of the length, width, and depth, any case
(and most bare dulcimer-type instruments) will come in with
total dimensions technically over the regular-size 62" limits.
United and Midway accept boxes measuring up to 115" as a
separate category of 'oversize baggage,' but some US airlines
have reduced their total 'oversize' dimension limits down from
100" to 90", and Continental is even using an 80" limit.  My
own case (for a small, bare instrument) could be measured at
up to 75", so everyone needs to consider these limits--and fees.

Having this larger-than-62" box means you could be subject to
"oversize" luggage charges, if the airlines decide to impose
them.  Those charges can be between $35 and a whopping $75
(on Delta, American, and Continental, for example) each way.
An American agent on the telephone noted that "the weight is
more important than the size," but made no specific promises. ;^)
My experience with other luggage, and those of other players
taking their cases on planes is similar:
        If your box makes the 70-lb limit and one agent can heft
        it to the conveyors, it probably won't be scrutinized.
The only person I've heard tell of paying had a 90-pound case.

International flights can have special rules and fees.
British Airways lists a basic 'excess baggage' rate of 85
pounds for a one-way New York to London trip.  (Some years
that could be $125 or more in US dollars.)

So--consider the lifetime price of shipping due to the case's
weight and/or size when buying a case.

Another reason to avoid a more-than-70-pounds case is that you
may get into an "air freight" or "air cargo" scenario.  Air
freight or cargo for us would mean... it doesn't necessarily
travel 'with' you, like baggage, but is instead 'shipped' as
a package.  You may have to go back to the airport's cargo
terminal later to pick it up.  (One guy reported using an
overnight delivery service to his destination, rather than
deal with the air cargo charges or pickup hassles.)

2. Insurance -

The usual domestic baggage damages limit is $1250, but most
international flights have limits of only $640.  You can
usually buy more insurance direct from the airlines--so check
in advance as to whether you need to.  Basic homeowner's or
renter's insurance may have exclusions--or just not be enough
to replace your instrument.  Check to see if you need and/or
can afford a special 'rider' on your policy, that covers full
replacement of a damaged or destroyed instrument (wherever it
could happen).

If you are a semi-professional or professional musician who
travels regularly with your instrument, you may want to consider
joining the American Federated Musicians Union "Local 1000" (a
kind of web-based union) because they have significant instrument
insurance coverage available.  (http://www.local1000.com/)  They
seem to be oriented towards the low-budget folk musician crowd,
though perhaps not quite low-budget enough for ethnic musics. ;^)
I think us amateurs are out of the loop on this one, though. ;^)

3. Negotiating -

When presented with 'odd' non-clothing luggage, the airlines may
insist tha the passenger to waive damage claim rights in advance.
There is something about these "Limited Release" forms on the
baggage check which the passenger is asked to sign if the article
is "fragile."  Well, for some airlines, musical instruments are
listed as fragile no matter what bombproof ATA case they're in.
One guy claims to have bluffed his way through with: "Write down
'Passenger Refused to Sign'", but that could also provide the
airlines an excuse to bump you from your flight.  Other folks
just sign.

Many who have discussed the issue in Dulcimer Players News and
on email lists recommend arriving early, and then advising the
agents and crew that you'd like to "gate-check" the instrument.
(To 'gate-check' an item means it gets loaded last (i.e. on top)
and unloaded first.)  But most of them are talking about
dulcimers in just gig bags. (Geez.)  So asking that your 65-
pound humongous box get gate-checked may just annoy people...

4. Case styles, specifications -

A "flight case" can have different meanings to different
manufacturers.  An "ATA (Air Transport Association) flight case"
can range from a 'short life' one or two-trip design, a 'category
II' 10-trip design, or a 'category I' 100-trip design.  Some
manufacturers haven't gone through the official testing.  While
they may well use the same materials and construction of the
big-name brands, they use the term "ATA Style" flight case since
they haven't got the test results to back it up.

I've noticed that some of the ATA-spec'ed (100-trip) cases use
3/8" plywood instead of 1/4"--and the case becomes so heavy
that it's a real burden.  (A case with 1/4" plywood may use
17-20 lbs. of wood; would 3/8" plywood add 8-10 lbs. and put
your case over the 70-pound limits?)

It gets back to what you need and think you can deal with.  If
you're doing touring gigs every week, you ought to get full-ATA
"category 1" (100 trips).  If you might use a plane once a year
and would like to worry less about your instrument when packing
the car, maybe you could get by with less.  Other folks fit in
between.

If you'd like a look at 'things that nice cases have',
you can view pictures on at least three websites:
        - Custom Cases' pictures at
                http://www.CustomCases.com/heavy/standard.htm
                (I don't know any more about these guys),
        - Anvil's information and pictures via
                http://anvildealer.com/main2.htm - and
        - Maxline's "hardware" page via
                http://www.maxlinecase.com/

-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
Manufacturers:

1. My best case price quote was from the makers of Pete's case
(which we all ogled last summer at camp) - CDM Manufacturing Inc..
Advance disclaimer--I ended up getting my case from them, and am
a pretty happy customer.

        For a box about like his (wheels, 1" minimum foam inside,
plywood/ABS sides, 37-39 pounds) they quoted a price of around
$230 (plus NY tax if it applies) plus about $15 shipping down
the East coast.  (My Bras instrument is a little smaller than
Pete's, so it was a little less money.  I'm giving an average
price here.)  I also got lockable latches (I don't remember
whether Pete's were) for sending it as airline baggage.
        I ordered two handles on the opening side, because I
knew darn well I couldn't safely heft 65 pounds in one hand.
With two, I can grab both handles, bring the case onto my legs,
and go from there.  If you don't think you'd get arm/shoulder/back
problems from the weight, you can think about skipping it.
(But there also seems to be some consensus that a single handle
might pull out; Maxline Custom Cases apparently felt that way.)
        If you mail them a full-size tracing of the santouri
outline, they can custom-cut the foam to fit (Pete's foam cutout
was square).  I also highly recommend adding a pair of 'handles'
to the tracing, and have them make a pair of cutouts there in
the foam along the sides of the instrument.  That way you can
reach in, grab the instrument, and pick it up without digging
around in the foam for it.  (One of Kostya's good ideas.)
                  ___________
                 /           \
               -/             \-
             / /               \ \
             -/                 \-
             /___________________\

They included extra foam for us to use over the pin blocks
(which we'll glue in place on the top, once we figure out where).
That way we can make sure that the strings and bridges (the
'highest' parts of the instrument) don't get the extra pressure
(from the weight of the instrument) if the case gets flipped
upside down in transit.
        Nice little details include:
                - 'bumper-feet' on the side/end opposite the
wheels... to make the case sit level on the ground.  ('Recessed'
wheels stick out about an inch; these are to compensate.)
                - straps to hold the lid, so that it doesn't
fall open and bang on the floor (and stress the hinge).
Musical instrument cases usually--but not always--have them.
                - on the latches, you have locking options of
either tubular-key locks or loops to put padlocks through.

        CDM promised to take just about a week to make (and
about another to ship, UPS Ground).  It actually got _to_ me
in a week.  But then I had to send it right back for a wheel
replacement (at no charge).  Folks who charge twice the money
also have some foulups (you'll see below).  I like the case.
(I _could_ work up a low-resolution image and send it in
private email, but really... cases all look pretty much alike.)

You can scope some of CDM's general 'case' options at
        http://www.cdmmanufacturing.com/
or call them at 1-716-649-5925.  They are a little unorganized
at the moment because they're moving next door, but they seem
to know their stuff when you can catch them.
        They have email but I'd recommend phone instead.
They don't have Visa/MC yet but they hope to get an account
soon.  I was working with Dana Wilcox.  CDM has a same-number
fax capability, and we faxed a simple contract back and forth.
(I have been burned by other non-credit-card vendors before,
so I specified some basic pre-agreed price/feature/measurement
information... it was probably unnecessary, but good for my
own state of mind.)

-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
Case colors -

Pete Rushefsky's case is black, but as he puts it, "I was
advised [after purchase] by a couple of well-travelled
musicians that they prefer to get white cases because airport
personnel subconsciously think white objects are more fragile
and handle them with more care.  You can be the judge of this
musical pop psychology."

Well, here in the South I don't get a black car or a black case
if I can help it (heat retention), but... I'd think white would
get pretty cruddy, pretty quick. (Especially at camp!)  There
are other colors.  To me, a case color _is_ important, because
it'll be a big box, that you hopefully look at for a long time.
(Heck, you can use these pups as low coffeetables if you have
the floor space.)

CDM's colors "include black, red, white, slate blue, dark blue,
med. blue, green, yellow, gray, [brown], purple, wine and orange."
        I recommend the "slate blue," which would have been my
second choice.  The "medium blue," on the other hand, is more
an "electric aquamarine" or "astrobright". ;^)  Fun, but...
        The (charcoal) gray, brown, and wine are... very
'corporate' and boring.  Guys and shy players may like them.
        (I don't know about the other colors; these are ones
I asked for color chips on.  If you're planning to order and
really conflicted I can send you an email attachment with a
scan...)
        I chose the purple (a "plum" or "grape") but with the
knowledge that besides being a big box in a bright color ;^)...
it's also susceptible to UV fading.  My only concern is that my
case could be mistaken for property of the Psychedelic Furs. ;^)

If you're in a region where sports rivalries are fierce (but your
own feelings aren't), you may want to avoid local 'team colors.'
For me locally, that's certain blues, and red.  I've noticed that
the rest of the country isn't always so crazy that way, though.

-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
Other places I've checked for cases (you can contact me for details) -

2. Lise Liepman has a really excellent case (plush velvet-lined
foam, lotsa recessed handles) from "Maxline Custom Cases" of
Oregon.  Their prices (as of late spring 2000) range from $400
(foam, unlined) to about $460 (plush-lined), plus shipping (which
can be $50 or more to the East Coast).  They are very very nice
cases, though.  Margaret Loomis also got a Maxline case, but says
that it took them a second try to get the instrument cutout the
right size.  Lise's case was only 33 pounds, if you need low-weight
options.  (http://www.maxlinecase.com/, 1-888-262-9546)

3. "Big Deal Cases" offered a custom "Fiberlex" case for $350.00,
plus another $45 for wheels, 27 lbs. before the wheels.
(http://www.bigdealcases.com, 1-880-337-3325)

4.  ROCK HARD ROAD CASES offered the standard box for $350 plus
shipping from Oregon; weight about 40 lbs.
(Mark DeHart, ROCK HARD ROAD CASES, 1-800-574-2305)

5. Some local-to-me folks, "US Case Corp", likewise had the
standard box for "just under $300, wheels would make it $350."
(http://www.uscase.com, 919-783-6166)

6. Anvil/Calzone's quote came in at $520.00 and 55 lbs. (ouch).
They've just advertised a holiday sale, but I didn't see anything
but briefcases on special at their website.
(info (at) anvildealer(dot)com or 1-800-600-1953 PIN 2009,
http://anvildealer.com/main2.htm)

7. The MasterWorks Dulcimer company (Russell Cook et al, in TX)
makes a $399, 38 lb. flight case for their dulcimers (which is
probably too small for santouris with the bass D--internally it's
45" x 19" x 5") and they will make custom cases (probably for
more $$$).  (http://www.wnsdulcimer.com, 1-888-752-9243)

8. Cadence Cases are available to order through the local Mars
Music outlet, but their MSRP for what _might_ be an appropriate
box would be $500, and they think the weight's 40 lbs..
(Information from cadence (at) cadencecases(dot)com, cases sold through
large music chains...)

9. SKB only has one lined box that _may_ be deep enough (the
SKB-5820W Keyboard Case) but that has an extra 8-10" on the end
which makes it about as tall as I am.  (i.e. 58" x 20".)  With
wheels it's 34.5 pounds, about $380 depending on who's selling it.
They have a new extra-wide "stand case" now that is 20" x 50",
but I don't know if it's got any foam inside.  Either'd be a
tight fit even for my little instrument (18"--gives minimal
room for foam). (Information from Delena Nordstrom
<Delena (at) freedmusic(dot)com>, cases sold through large music chains)

10. In Spring 1996, Dulcimer Players News had a letter from a
(local) guy happy with an aluminum Zeigel (Ziegel?) Engineering
case.  Shipping would be from (Long Beach) CA.  Normally they
make instrument and gun cases.  I didn't call. (1-310-596-9481)
-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
Other options I've considered, besides custom cases -

Tom Pixton built a padded plywood santouri case for a Texas
gig last year.  They suggest adding some corner reinforcement
bumpers (available at hardware stores, or also at the Mars
Music outlets as replacement parts) for airline handling, but
it seemed to protect effectively.  If you... have one weekend
before the gig (and don't have time for a pro maker) or you
have lots of time and think you can make a great box for less
than $250, it may be worthwhile.

Bicycle cases are normally $250-$275.  Performance Bicycles
put theirs on sale for $199 a few months ago (and maybe it
could happen again; check at http://www.performancebike.com/
or see competitors at http://www.pedalpack.com/caseline.htm
and http://www.bikenashbar.com/). The cases are not square,
not completely stiff, don't all have a hinge for the lid, the
pull handles are kinda lame, and you're not going to get a
form-fit.  You can convert it to a roof rack, but it's dark
(i.e. it will collect heat in summer sunshine--not good for
instrument care).  If you wanted to have a big travel case
and roof rack that you could maybe put your santouri in (and
pack your laundry around?) sometimes, it might work for you.
Especially if you're big into bikes. ;^)

I've looked at some double-width rifle cases, ski/snowboard
cases, etc., but didn't see anything of the right size.
(With those cases you may also get into airline-theft problems
that I note below.)

Kostya built me a 'travel-weight' mini-santouri with a form-
fitting lid, strapped it closed, and we put it into my luggage
for a stay in Russia.  It didn't last too well (a little _too_
lightweight in the rails and bracing to hold up to the string
tension) but at least I had something to practice on, while I
was alone and halfway across the world.  (Be sure to declare
your instrument as you fill out international customs documents!)

-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
Theft:  For any case you get, beware the story of professional
hammer dulcimer player Robin Petrie (in Dulcimer Players News,
Spring 1991, describing a 1985 gig).

She had a dulcimer in an Anvil keyboard/synthesizer case.
Any nice case--especially a brand-name one like Anvil or SKB--
is a theft target at and 'through' airports.  Some airports
and major airlines have luggage theft rings; Robin Petrie's
dulcimer (and its case) were stolen when being transferred
at the Honolulu airport (the stopover on a California-to-New
Zealand flight).  She was able to play her gigs by having a
team of friends overnight a new dulcimer from Seattle--but
we wouldn't all have such luck...

My personal idea is to affix somewhat dorky bumper stickers
to the case, that indicate its non-keyboard, non-electronics,
non-fenceable-item nature.  In the best of worlds we'd have
"Cimbalom World Association" stickers (with a logo that
actually looked interesting instead of their generically
technoid graphics), but we can probably actually find stuff
like "Dulcimers Forever!".  (I'm actually in the process of
trying to design a nice sticker.  Stay tuned.)

But, now that I have a brand-new case it's a little harder
to bring myself to actually put bumper stickers on it. ;^)
Maybe I'll wait until:
        - I'm about to take it on a plane and need to, or
        - it has a few scratches, scuffs, and stains to hide. ;^)
-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -

Hope this has been helpful for some of you.  It did take some
research on my part, which I may convert into an article or web
page in the future (I'll let you know)--so please don't pass it
around without attributing me as a source.  (So I don't make
the same bad--I got lots of useful information this year from
Lise Leipman, Margaret Loomis, and Pete Rushefsky. ;^)  And
they very nicely gave their permissions to use the information.)

Robin

Robin LaPasha
Duke University Slavic Dept.
ruslan (at) acpub(dot)duke(dot)edu