KLEZMER IN THE WEDDING

I THINK BERT GOT IT RIGHT. THERE WERE SOME WEDDINGS IN WINTER BUT LIKE
TODAY PEOPLE LIKE TO HAVE THE WEDDING IN THE SPRING. AND YES THEY
WOULD CUT HAIR TO MAKE A LIVING. THIS ALSO INVOLVED BEING A 'FELDSHER'
A BARBER-SURGEON. THE FIDDLER MOYSHE NUSSBAUM WHOM I RECORDED IN THE
BRONX FROM WESTERN POLAND WAS MY BARBER AND HE STILL HAD HIS BOX OF
'BANKES' (CUPPING-GLASSES). THESE KLEZMER-PROFESSIONS WERE GENERATIONS
OLD- ITZIK

are mostly out-of-doors scenes. It's always summertime in the 19th
Century.

Yes, I know the chuppah-under-the-stars is the preferred way to go.

Update: not too many folks nowadays get married in the winter in
Cleveland
either, but on a limited basis the bar mitzvah bashes (nonexistent in
Europe) keep rolling along.

So what did the old-time klezmorim do in the winter?  Cut hair?

Bert Stratton
http://www.yiddishecup.com