Re: Klezmer in Germany

Heiko:

No, I believe that Die Geschichte des Rabbi Nachmans was a bestseller--among
Jews and non-Jews.
Although the great majority of German Jews were "CV Juden"--assimilated members
of the Central Verein--there was a growing group of important cultural figures,
particularly after the first world war.
Gershon Sholem, Rosenzweig, Buber, Arno Nadel, to name a few.

There were 10,000 card-carrying German Zionists by the 1920s. Again, not a
great number out of 600,000, but so many were very dynamic individuals.

Try to read Brenner's book if you get a chance. It's very illuminating re: the
various Jewish cultural institutions that sprung up after World War I. I don't
agree with Brenner that it was a movement that embraced a lot of German Jewry,
but, nevertheless, it was extremely influential--if anything, to America and
Israel, the two countries where most of these folks ended up.

Many German Jews were content with the status quo--up until 1929 and the
economic effects of the stock market crash and Nazi boycotts. But the Zionists
really did see the writing on the wall, and that literally saved many of their
lives. Of course, with the restricted immigration laws in my country and the
British White Paper restricting emigration to Palestine, there were not many
places for the less affluent to go. That's why we lost so many poor souls in
Poland alone--I believe three million. The Germans were not the only
antisemites during this sick time, although I don't need to tell you that they
carried it to a degree that the entire globe still finds unfathomable.

I'm encouraged that you have respect enough for these victims not to try and
"rebuild" that which has gone away: "Vos geven iz geven." I'm also honored that
you find our culture and music so appealing.

Me, I've always loved J.S. Bach, Mozart, George Gershwin, Duke Ellington,
Charlie Parker, and Ella Fitzgerald, so I can certainly appreciate your musical
position.

Again, thank you for that informative article; your English is excellent!

Be well,

Eliott