Re: Klezmer in Germany

At 11:04 AM 10/27/00 +0200, you wrote:
>At WOMEX in Berlin a week ago I did a lecture on "Klezmer in Germany/Germans
>and Klezmer: Reparation or Contribution". The (English) script can be seen
>under
>
><http://www.sukke.de/lecture.html>www.sukke.de/lecture.html
>
>Heiko.

I found this essay extremely thoughtful and informative. Two brief comments:

1. "To Germans, this was to become a Jewish cliché later, and German Jews
during the course of the Haskalah separated
themselves from the Hasidim; they wanted to look like Germans. So along with
the decline of Yiddish culture in Germany, the
tradition of the letsonim or klezmorim also vanished to the point that it
became nothing more than a synonym for a stereotype
about Jews. Neither German Gentiles nor German Jews liked it, the first
thinking of it as ridiculous, the latter being afraid of
being taken for Eastern Jews."

Beginning in the first decade of the twentieth century there was actually an
interest in a return to Eastern-European Jewish culture on the part of German
Jews. Most of these folks--such as Martin Buber, with his "Tales of Rabbi
Nachman" (1907) --were associated with a cultural offshoot of the political
Zionist party. Although not a large movement, it grew somewhat, especially
after the first world war. Writer/philosopher Franz Rosenzweig, with his
founding of the Lehrhaus after the war, was an important member of this group.
(Please see: Brenner, Michael, THE RENAISSANCE OF JEWISH CULTURE IN WEIMAR
GERMANY, 1994--There should be a new German edition recently published.)

2. "Reparation or Contribution? An example.

Klezmer music in Germany is both. Some performers want to take an active part
in the restoration of East European Jewish
culture. This position is problematic but not unintelligible. The fact that
their efforts are mostly not accepted by Jewish people
always shocks them. The protagonists have no answer to the question of how to
restore East European Jewish culture
without the actual Jews."

And they never shall, because it can't be done. I find it appropriate that
young Germans refer to 1945 as "Zeit null." For me, as a Jew, and for the
hundreds of other Jews I've spoken with, the Holocaust was a collective act so
far beyond moral comprehension that somehow one would like to put a big gash on
a timeline and say: this is where it all ended. The Jewish history in Europe.
Western Civilization. I know in my lifetime I'll never be convinced otherwise.

Heiko, I applaud your candor and am confident you are seeking truth--which is
essential to anyone who wishes to create art. But we should all let the dead
sleep a little. It's too early--I believe--to "rebuild" anything.

Shalom aleichem,

Eliott Kahn