From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org [mailto:owner-jewish-music (at)
shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of
CantorJ (at) aol(dot)com
Sent: 19 October 2000 21:18
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: Zionist songs by Leonard Bernstein?

Bill,
Leonard Bernstein created an arrangement of "Simchu Na," which is an Israeli
folk song, for SATB and Piano, he may also have done other arrangements.
Kurt Weill arranged "Havu Levanim," a chalutz building song.  I think that
Milhaud arranged the song, "Tel Aviv," which has the same melody as
"Bamidbar, y'sa-uni al dabashot g''malim."  The latter two songs were
published years ago (I have them in my office, but not at home); the choral
arrangement was published by the New York BJE (also years ago).
Bernstein also composed liturgical music.  A setting of Hashkivenu and a
melody for Yigdal.  For that matter, Weill was commissioned to compose a
Kiddush.  And Milhaud composed an entire liturgical service for Shabbat
morning.
Hope this helps.
Janice Roger

---