Re: Deciphering the music of the Levites

Having read the article, I'll just offer the caution that the music should
be enjoyed for its own sake, and not for any purported authenticity. As one
example of the difficulty of transcribing early music _even when it's been
notated_, the earliest written Jewish music was transcribed by Obadiah the
Proselyte, in the 12th century. We're not even sure how it is meant to be
performed (what mode, etc.) so you can imagine what happens when we stretch
back milennia earlier. (We discussed this piece earlier this year; see
http://www.shamash.org/listarchives/jewish-music/000323)

If people are interested in following up on the Zakai article, do your
searches on "Haik-Vantoura" not the spelling in the article. Ditto for
"Lamandier"

Best,

Joel

At 10:25 PM 10/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>The article on deciphering the music of the Levites was published on October
>10, 2000.  It can now be found at  this URL:
>
>http://www3.haaretz.co.il/eng/scripts/article.asp?mador=10&datee=10/10/00&id
>=96189
>
>Jacob Bloom
>bloom (at) gis(dot)net

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com