Re: Music in Jewish brothels

Here?s another article I found while surfing.  It looks at the American
phenomenon of the Yiddish music halls though.  I didn?t find any European
information.  I?ve included the opening quote of the article.
Helen

http://members.tripod.com/~jtheater/warnke.htm
Nina Warnke
Immigrant Popular Culture as Contested Sphere:
Yiddish Music Halls, the Yiddish Press, and the Processes of
Americanization, 1900-1910
Theatre Journal. Vol. 48, issue 3, 1996, pp. 321-335.
·       ?There are already [Yiddish] concert halls where they play cat music
and
idiotic vaudevilles and sing dirty songs, where painted women and shady men
gather, and where small children are taken to whom they sell beer and
cigarettes and teach obscene language. These halls are a great danger, and
we in our community have to do our utmost to protect the ghetto from this
new plague. 1?