Re: Shlogn Kapores

In a message dated 9/11/00 4:56:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lkoenick (at) erols(dot)com writes:

<< Rats, and I had such a creative and devastating rejoinder all prepared.  I
 held off knowing that Ari would step in soon.

 Leonard Koenick.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
 [mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Ari Davidow
 Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 3:14 PM
 To: World music from a Jewish slant
 Subject: Re: Shlogn Kapores

 =If= there is a need to continue discussion of this piece on this
 list, it will be in a manner acceptable to the list. This post does
 not meet that criterion.

Truth is, among time honored customs, Shlogn Kaporos comes off as one of
those that results from Jews living among ex-pagans. And the references in
the lyric to the cross, etc. do bring to mind the ambivalence Jews sometimes
feel when discussing the idea of something substituting for punishments for
your sins, which is an idea discussed regarding the ancient Temple
Sacrifices, but don't find much discussion outside of that context.
This also brings to mind something that happened to me a few years ago. I was
playing a gig backing up Chasidic singer Avraham Fried in Crown Heights for
Lubavitch audience around Yom Kippur. I spent a lot of time that evening
explaining some of the goings-on in the neighborhood to a non-Jewish
colleague. When he saw the people gathered around the cages of live chickens
and asked, "What the Hell is that?", I just shrugged and said, It's a little
hard to explain offhand, and left it at that. Some things just don't sound
right when you try to explain them.

Jordan