Re: "Jewish Night" at Shea Stadium

Lorele et al.:  Eliott has this pretty much right, except that the first
Jewish Night was at least _two_ years ago, since I was there. (The kosher
hot dog line took about an hour's wait.)  I think they started this (at
least) _three_ years ago--actually, I see that Eliott says that--and were
foolish enough to have a "German Night" among the featured ethnicities, but
no Jewish Night, on the grounds that we're a religion not a nationality,
etc.  Well, that didn't fly, and they quickly retreated after no doubt being
inundated with angry phone calls (and worse).  It's just a Mets thing,
though, not a New York State thing--no constitutional questions involved.
Just typical NYC ethnic politics.

The problem, for me, is that what they call "Jewish Night" is really "Israel
Night," with all Jewish identity being subsumed under Israeli.  It would
make much more sense, for example, to have a klezmer band--since, to a
degree, klezmer music can be enjoyed by all sorts of Jews, and the klezmer
revival is very much part of a distinctly American Jewish scene--than
another Israeli singer (though Sharabi is a better choice than last year's,
whose name I've repressed).

--Robert