Re: Net publication of Jewish Music Conference papers, London 2000

on 8/2/2000 3:34 PM, Ed Sieb at sieb (at) sympatico(dot)ca wrote:

> Placing a value on it
> means that it won?t be given away, lent out or otherwise disseminated
> (i.e.: ?copied?). Charging a fee protects the original producer and any
> subsequent users from inappropriate use of the commodity. It maintains the
> value the original producer assigned to it and protects and maintains a
> market for the producer, so that he/she can continue producing more
> creative product and continue to receive an honest return for it.
Ed, I agree with you and your libertarian analysis. But, how does the
one-time fee protect the original producer from inappropriate use of the
commodity? There are those who will purchase one legitimate copy and dupe it
10 or a 100 or 10,000 times. How can that be accounted for and built into
the price?
> If the original artist/producer is willing to allow a certain quantity of
> this commodity to be available free, then that?s his prerogative. But it
> should be understood that anything that is free is also uncontrolled and in
> fact ?liberated?, and out of the control of the original producer.  It this
> is his intention, then fine, but he should be aware of the consequences of
> this freedom.
Isn't anything subject to being uncontrolled and liberated? Most people
think that when they buy a CD or software, they "own" the contents and feel
free to liberate it. What incentive is there to prevent this?

brian
--
"Nobody endeavors to preserve his being for the sake of some other thing."
--Baruch Spinoza, (Pr. 25, IV) The Ethics