Net publication of Jewish Music Conference papers, London 2000

Hi everyone

Thanks Geraldine for your reply to my comments re: your intention to let
people download JMI conference papers for a small fee. I understand that the
conference was expensive to mount but I don't see the connection:
I can't imagine that the money you might gain from charging for the papers
would go any way whatsoever towards offsetting the costs incurred. You might
earn a few pounds but you more importantly you would be denying interested
people (like myself) the oppuortunity to find out more.

The bottom line is this: do you want fascinating and learned material from a
groundbreaking conference on Jewish Music to be available to everybody, or
just to a few research scholars and institutions?
Merely 'interested people' would not pay to download a lecture - I for one
would like to scan through all of them, but I couldnt pay for this
privelege.

I don't think making information free on the net devalues the scholars or
the host, on the contrary it seems absolutely 'ethically right' to me. Of
course you can not put it on the net and release it in a book which you can
sell, but as I see it information on the net from an educational body should
be free of charge, no question.

I understand that funds are always extremely short and that independent arts
bodies are always looking for ways to raise extra revenue, but I think this
path is a misconceived one and will ultimately bear little fruit. After all
your work putting on such a fantastic festival it would be a shame if others
could not continue to share in it.

Anyone else have any feelings on this?
Yours
Jonathan.