Re: Reviews of new Khevrisa, Budowitz

<< I think that Svigals is pointing out that many of the early revival
performances, and, still the case for some bands today, perform klezmer as
"shtick", rather than as though the music stands on its own. That was
certainly true of the Klezmorim, and I would contend applies to some of the
early recorded material from Kapelye, as well.  >>

Ari, I hope you won't take it wrong but I think that people who say they
aren't going to be comedians anymore were probably not very funny in the
first place.  Raised on comedy and theater, I am among those who found the
Klezmorim very appealing (and much of Kapelye's early stuff) and able to
stand on its own as music.  Why is it that when a musician plays with a smile
and gives it a kick, it's shtick, but the ones who scowl we call an artist?
My studied reply to this age-old phenomenon is: feh.

There are probably entertainers who substitute tried-and-true crowd-pleasers
for artistry, but I don't think that includes Klezmorim/Kapelye.  (Klezmorim
refused to play the crowd-pleasers and got rid of vocals early on, in fact,
to the dismay of many audiences.)  Is the Klezmorim version of Baym Rebns
Sude less musically valid than a revivalist version on fiddle and tsimbalon?
Or do I construe your point wrong?

Yours in Chicago--Lori