Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1596

>From: Lori Cahan-Simon <l_cahan (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org>
>
>I generally see it written as oyf, but have been told that it is generally
>pronounced  af.  Nu, who says what in what dialect?  And then, what
>about vav, yud, fey, nun?  Is it oyfn or afn,

The pickiest Yiddish speaker as to correct pronunciation that I
know  consistently says "af" and "afn".  He is a native Yiddish speaker
educated here in the US in the shuln and took his Masters in Yiddish Ed and
insists on Klal Yiddish all around.  He says this is simply a case where
the spoken version is so ingrained that it has overridden the written
spelling.  So, I go with "af" and "afn" in pronunciation.  But I am far
from an authority on Yiddish pronunciation ;-)

Shira

>Chevra,
>
>While on a record prowl in London I unearthed a 4 lp set of Jewish music,
>one LP of which was devoted to Isa Kremer, who came in for some discussion
>here a few months ago. The notes say, "There discs here presented are from
>the extensive collection of Robert J. and Charlotte Nathan." A quick web
>search turned up nothing on them. Anyone know more about these collectors
>and where the collection lodged? How about any other currently available
>discs containing one or more selections by her?
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Joel
>

>Joel Bresler
>250 E. Emerson Rd.
>Lexington, MA 02420 USA
>
>Home:           781-862-2432
>Home Office:    781-862-4104
>FAX:            781-862-0498
>Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com

For questions regarding Isa Kremer, I would contact Lois (Leah Adel) Barr
at Lake Forest College outside of Chicago.  She ius finishing up the
editting of her film on Isa Kremer, "Isa Kremer, The People's Diva" and
probably would be knowledgeable about Kremer's recordings.

Shira