Crystal?! I can see right through that fib.....

Not such an absurd answer, actually, as at least one major clarinet
manufacturer offers a transparent, crystal clarinet mouthpiece. I know I have a
listing for one in a 1931 Selmer catalogue! I guess his answer is akin to
someone telling their children that the hotdogs they're eating are actually
"tubesteaks".
Regards,
Lederman